Follow Us On Twitter     |     Contact     |     McGill     |     IHSP

HSI Health Data Blog: Where Canadians Go for Healthcare

In 2011-12, only eighty-five percent of Canadians aged 12 and older had a regular doctor, leaving approximately four and a half million Canadians to seek regular medical care from other sources. Using data from the Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) for the years 2007-08 through 2011-12, we’ve examined where those without regular doctors typically go to seek medical care and advice, whilst comparing trends across time and across Canadian provinces and territories.

According to data from the 2011-12 cycle of the CCHS, 79.8% of Canadians without a regular doctor indicate having a place that they usually go when they are sick or require advice about their health, leaving only 20.2% – or 3.0% of the total population – without a usual place to seek healthcare. Across provinces and territories, there does exist variation in the proportion of those with a usual place where care is sought, but there are no pronounced regional trends.

Across Canada, walk-in clinics are by far the type of healthcare facility most used by those without a regular doctor, with 60.9% of respondents identifying walk-in clinics as the place they usually go for medical care. Emergency rooms rank second (13.5%), followed by community health centres (8.3%), appointment clinics (4.3%), doctors’ offices (3.3%), hospital outpatient clinics (2.3%), telephone health lines (0.9%), and other places (6.5%).

To continue reading Where Canadians Go for Healthcare on the HSI Health Data Blog, click here.

5 June 2014